Old Dalby

Some pictures of the changes in the Old Dalby station area

Click on the picture for a bigger image - all pictures are the author's unless otherwise credited

Old Dalby 1880

Old Dalby station looking south. This photo is thought to have been taken at the time of the opening of the line circa 1880.

Note the inside keyed track, the milk churns on both wooden platforms, the nine staff with a little girl and the signal box at the end of the Down platform.

Author's collection

Old Dalby 1966

Old Dalby station looking north pictured in 1966

Author's collection

Sign The station name board in 1966

M J Chapman

Arriving Arriving at Old Dalby on one of the last service trains in 1966. Looks like a later extension had been built onto the north end of the station building

M J Chapman

Passengers Passengers alight from the train in 1966

M J Chapman

 From the south This is the driver's eye view of Old Dalby approaching from the south in 1967. The later LMS signal box is on the left with the exchange sidings on the right and the goods shed in the middle distance.

Author's collection

Goods Shed 19-12-68 The goods shed from the yard (east) side on 19th December 1968. Note the old Hillman car and the Provender store beyond.

Author's collection

The yard A view of the exchange sidings from the top of a signal post on 19th December 1968. One of the Army's Ruston Hornsby diesel shunters can be identified on the far right.

Author's collection

Old Dalby Station steps The station steps on 19th December 1968 viewed from the road 

Author's collection

A closer view of the signal box on 19th December 1968

Author's collection

Looking south The view from the signal box on 19th December 1968, looking south towards Grimston Tunnel. The formation of the rope-worked incline of the original tramway which brought iron-ore from the Wartnaby mines can just be be made out at the rear of the headshunt for the Ordnance Depot. See here for more detail, map and photograph.

 Author's collection

Signal box The view north from 111MP with the signal box on the left. Note the class 25 in the sidings

Henry Priestley

Inside the box - probably in the early 1950's

Author's collection

 Looking north The view from the signal box on 31st December 1968, looking across to the exchange sidings.

Author's collection

Goods shed 31-12-68

Looking south at Old Dalby on the 31st December 1968. The photo was taken from the gantry of the signal post on the Down platform. Note the Army traffic in the yard.

Author's collection

station 1968 The view looking north from the top of the signal post on the Up side on 31st December 1968.

Author's collection

Bridge 48 The view looking south towards the station on 31st December 1968 showing the higher bridge parapet on the Up side.

This was raised after a wartime fatal accident when an unsuspecting soldier disembarked from a train in the darkness onto the bridge from where he fell to his death on the roadway below.

Author's collection

Exchange sidings A view of the exchange sidings and goods shed looking south on 31st December 1968

Author's collection

Aerial view A view of the station area looking north from the top of the Down side signal post on 31st December 1968

Author's collection 

Station approach The station forecourt on 31st December 1968

Author's collection

Under construction The compound and workshop on 6th March 1970 whilst the line was still under construction

Author's collection 

Workshop A view of the inside of the workshop on the same day

Author's collection

Welcome The entrance gates to the site

Unknown

Goods Shed 1980's The Goods Shed looking from the north end pictured in the mid-1980's when it was being used by the local coal merchant. The Provender store had been demolished by this time. Compound from south The compound viewed from MP 111 on the test track in the mid 1970's. The Goods shed is out of sight to the right.

Colin Marsden

1999

The workshop viewed from the south eastern side in the snow of December 1999 1999

The Goods Shed at Old Dalby from the south in December 1999

Feb 2000 The Ground Frame which operated the pointwork to allow access to the workshop at Old Dalby pictured in February 2000 June 2001 A view from the hill above the village of Old Dalby in June 2001 looking towards the original Control Centre
Old Dalby Recent aerial view of the Old Dalby control centre re-built by Alstom and now to be the southern end of the third and fourth rail system.

Note the former goods shed at the lower right hand side still home for the local coal merchant

Google

Ordnance Survey Section of OS map showing original layout

HMSO

Compound The compound from the approach road on 24th January 2009. It looks a bit crowded within due to the extra conductor rails requiring even more fencing Workshop A view of the workshop from the approach road with its recently-added extension on 24th January 2009.
Coal man The view looking south from the top of the approach road towards the goods shed - extra fencing can be seen everywhere as well as the usual abandoned car. Out of sight on the left is a small building which used to be the home of the PWay gang allocated to the test track in its years under BR DC power

The DC transformer to power the track is lowered into place at Old Dalby

Lounsdale Electric

 

 Back to Then & Now Index

Back to Main Index